5 Factors That Go Into Losing Weight/Getting Fit
Often times, people are under the impression that if they change one thing it will help them see results, and it may, for the short term, but the reality is that a lot of things have to be working 'in sync' to see results. Bear with me if this is a little long but it's incredibly important you read thru it all if you want to see MAX RESULTS- the information here is golden!
1) Your eating habits and water intake: You are what you eat simply put - if you incorporate healthy eating habits, you're going to start looking and feeling better and the opposite is also true. Take the word "diet" out of your vocabulary. Your eating habits should be a lifestyle. A lifestyle is a reasonable and sustainable plan that you can incorporate FOR LIFE! (nothing extreme) . avoid foods you hate. Find healthy and delicious foods/recipes that you actually enjoy and start incorporating them regularly into your meal plan until it becomes a habit. There are many other factors that also come into play - how often are you eating? Are you eating before and after your workouts? Are you eating close to bedtime? Are you skipping breakfast ? Are you drinking enough water? Are you over eating/ under eating? Take the time to really evaluate what's going on with your dietary habits on a daily basis and slowly start making changes
2) Exercise: The diet will only take you so far. A diet without exercise may leave you with a smaller frame, but it will still leave you "soft", meaning, there will be no muscle on you - which makes it a lot easier to gain the weight back as you get older. It sucks, but that's the truth. Having muscle helps you burn fat even at rest! The three forms of exercise that are necessary to achieve max results are: Cardio for fat loss! resistance training or weight lifting to build muscle! Stretching for flexibility and range of motion! All three are incredibly and equally important for fat loss. Ladies, as you get stronger, DON'T be afraid to pick up a heavier weight! It's not going to make you bulky I promise. if anything, it will increase your lean muscle mass and make you stronger which in turn will make it easier to keep the weight off in the long run. Challenge yourself when it comes to the Weight (safely, of course)!
3) Stress - managing stress is super important as stress releases a hormone called cortisol that is counderproductive to fat loss. Symptoms of having too much cortisol most definitely include weight gain so find ways of managing your stress -everyone has different methods whether it may be therapy, meditation, yoga. Find what works for you! Everyone has stress in their lives, it can't be avoided, so be proactive in finding ways to manage it.
4) Sleep - Not getting enough sleep screws with your metabolism and leaves you tired, which in turn makes you want more "pick me ups" during the day - meaning bad food. Most people need 6 - 8 hours of sleep. Be sure to give your body the sleep it needs. Sleep has a profound effect on muscle growth and physical well -being. Make sure you get enough.
5) Accountability, consistency and the Will to not Give Up. EVERYBODY needs accountability, including us, the trainers. Keep showing up to class that's it.
Consistency: You don't get to decide which week you're going to take off and which week you're going to work out. I understand there is illness and emergencies which can't be helped but if neither is going on, you have to come to class. NO EXCUSES. In order to see results, you must be consistent.
Never give up - the weight loss journey is super tough. It took you years to get to where you are, so it may take some years to get to where you want to be. It's not an overnight thing. Where there's a will there's a way.
So there you have it! Thank you for taking out the time to read this- I really appreciate it and I hope it helped!
- Jasmine Choksi, co-owner
P.S. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below, I'll read them and reply 🙂