If you’re wanting to learn the most effective ground martial art in a safe and fun environment, while getting into better shape, and receiving the highest level of instruction anywhere in the area then there is no better fit for you than John’s Gym Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes in Austin & Cedar Park Area.
New To Jiu Jitsu? We have GREAT news!
Try our Level 1 - Beginner Fundamentals Jiu Jitsu Class
***SPECIAL: Join our Jiu Jitsu classes THIS MONTH and receive a FREE Gi, FREE Belt, and FREE Team patch***
Enter Your Info Below
What Is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Exactly?
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the most effective form of self defense that teaches you how to fight in a close range and control your opponent. The objective of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is to subdue your opponent through a variety of submission holds and joint locks without hurting your opponent. It's the only style that has been tested and proven where the smaller person can immobilize a bigger person through technique.
It's so effective Jiu Jitsu is one of the Core Martial Arts that Mixed Martial Arts fighters, including those that compete in the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship), must learn before stepping into the cage. We aren't talking about theory or having you do forms like you may have seen or experienced in other Martial Arts, this is what professional fighters rely on, and now you can learn the secrets of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in a fun friendly class environment.
Since joining John's Gym here in Austin my BJJ game has really stepped up. The instruction is very practical to use and implement into your game right away and the instructors go out of their way to help and train with you outside of class. This gym has a family feel to it that you can't find at other gyms. I competed at the Austin Open a few months after joining and with John in my corner I took Gold! I'm very proud to be part of the John's Gym family. A background on my search: I just moved here a few months ago from Denver CO where I trained at one of the top BJJ gyms in CO. Finding a good gym here in Austin was one of my main concerns. I had a list of about 10 recommended gyms to try out. John's gym in Austin was the first one I tried and after one session I made my decision. I didn't even bother to visit the other ones and I'm happy about my decision.
Pro Jiu Jitsu Events Our Team Has Competed In
The Major Differences Between John's Gym Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Classes and Other Jiu Jitsu classes in the Austin and Cedar Park Texas area
- Black Belt on the website, but lower belts teach class
- No Curriculum - instructors just teach what they feel like with no structure to your success
- More about the instructor and their history than you
- Non-English speaking instructors that don't last
- No structured ranking system
- Untested instructors with no real experience
- You never train/spar with the instructor
- Stagnant training with no competition team
- No progression for those students interested in the next level
- 3 Black Belt Instructors - The only school in Austin & Cedar Park Area to have 3 Black Belt instructors insuring you are taught by a Black Belt.
- World Class instruction with a proven training curriculum
- Student Focused: We celebrate our wins together and help each other grow and achieve success on the mats
- Professional instructors who have all once owned or ran their own jiu jitsu schools and converged to John's Gym to offer the best instruction
- Structured ranking system for beginner white belt to black belt, as well as competition training
- Highest level competition team: Our team has competed and/or won in many high level amateur and Pro BJJ tournaments including the World Championships, Pan Ams, as well as international competitions in Rome and France to name a few
- Fundamental Class 3 Times a week for beginners to develop a solid foundation and for experienced players to solidify the fundamentals
- Local friendly gym where you'll see the owners working out right next to you or at the gym daily.
- Jiu Jitsu seminars where we bring in some of the top athletes and coaches in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu available including multiple time World Champions
As far as my experience with John's Gym, I can only speak for the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu program. I switched to John's gym because the gym I had been attending only offered BJJ classes once a week, and the level of instruction was not high quality. I attended open mat on a Friday and rolled with the owner John (Brown belt) who I could immediately tell knew what he was doing as an instructor. I have attended four different BJJ gyms in two different states and John is absolutely one of the higher quality instructors I have trained under. Not only is the level of instruction high quality, but the community at John's gym is inclusive and fun. I have attended some large gyms and some small, but John's gym is the perfect size. You get to know your training partners. You respect them and they become friends. You don't simply walk in, train, and leave like some of the larger gyms. John's gym offers a variety of people to train with who have different styles and skill levels. I'd also like to call out the fact that I have never seen a better female/male ratio at a BJJ gym. There will occasionally be days in which we have more females on the mat than males. I make a point of this because I believe it is important for all to feel they belong at a gym, and John's Gym creates that environment. Whether you are looking to compete in tournaments, or just get a good work out. You should consider making John's gym your home.
Here's What You Can Expect from our Jiu Jitsu Program
- This is a BEGINNER FRIENDLY Academy. No brutes that are out to hurt you, just good people enjoying a fun martial art.
- We cater to people who are with us simply to get into the best shape of their lives and to learn a practical self defense.
- We have an active Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competition team if competing is your goal. We consistently have athletes that place first in each tournament we enter.
- Stress Relief. It is like an active form of meditation. Your day won’t feel complete unless you get a training session in.
- Flexibility. Even if you can’t touch your toes right now, you’ll soon be as flexible as a baby, yea, even you.
- The ultimate in overall fitness. Jiu Jitsu includes core, strength and cardio (aerobic and anaerobic) conditioning.
- Age is not a factor. Of course we have a children’s program as well, but many think they are “over the hill” when they think of training in the martial arts. We helped a 51 year old who never did BJJ before become a World Champion.
- Living a healthier lifestyle as well as mentally, psychically, and emotionally.
- Meet new like-minded friends who will last a lifetime. One of the major things you'll notice is our friendly vibe from the moment you walk in. No intimidation here, we are a group of people that just enjoy this different way of getting into shape and having fun.
- We supply the motivation….The #1 reason people get derailed from the “gym” is due to boredom. It can get boring trying to be the best at working out, so try a martial art that will give you the results you’re looking for far more rapidly. Our training sessions are never boring. Heck, you may not want to go home.
- And Many More...
Frequently Asked Questions: Don't see your question answered? Simply click the blue Contact Button or call/TXT 512-436-0675, and we'll promptly reply.
Do you have classes for beginners?
Yes we do. It's important when you're first starting out to focus on the fundamentals of self defense and Jiu Jitsu. Our Level 1: Fundamental Class times are as follows - Monday & Wednesday: 6:15-7pm, Tuesday & Thursday: 7pm-8:30pm, and Saturday Morning: 10:30am-12pm.
Do I need to be in shape before joining?
Jiu Jitsu will get in you in the best shape of your life. All shapes and sizes have come into our Jiu Jitsu program and seen success. If this is your first time, then rest assured that our Level 1 program will safely guide you to success.
Will I learn how to defend myself?
Yes, absolutely. Jiu Jitsu is primarily a ground martial art. For example: boxing and muay thai are stand-up martial arts, but what happens if someone takes you to the ground? That's where Jiu Jitsu comes in. Through leverage and techniques you'll learn in class you'll be able to defend very quickly. We don't teach theory, this is applicable safe techniques that you can start feeling comfortable with from day 1.
Can I try a class first to see if I'll like it?
Yes. You can try a class for free by calling/TXTing us at 512-787-5340. If you like the class and want to learn more about our programs and pricing we can talk afterwards, too.
Will people try and hurt me?
We have a safe environment for all levels and ages, that's why we split our groups up by levels so you can feel safe that you're training with people that are at your level who are looking for a safe, fun, and beginner friendly training environment, too. We have a strict "no-meathead" policy here, so you won't be training along side meatheads who have no self control.
How many people are in class?
This really depends on who shows up to class. Our class sizes can ranch from just a few people to 20+ people. There will always be someone for you to train with and learn from.
Do we spar/roll during class?
Our Level 1: Beginner class has very limited sparring, and focuses mainly on specific position drilling. Our Level 2 and NoGi All Levels class spars/rolls for the last 30 minutes of each class time.
Will I be able to train with the professor?
Yes. Each one of our teachers trains/spars/rolls with everyone in class ensuring you're getting the best possible instruction and training at every level.
Will I be able to compete?
Yes. Each one of our instructors has competition experience and won high level grappling matches and pro matches. Whether you want to just try competing 1 time or you want to be a World Champion, we can help you reach your goals.
Am I too old to start training?
You're never too old to better your health and improve your life. If there is a technical element you need a modification for because of physical limitations, we'll have one ready for you.
When can I start classes?
Right now, our classes are on a rolling curriculmn and so you can jump in at anytime and not feel like you've missed anything. Simply click the blue Contact button or call/TXT 512-787-5340 and contact us about our Jiu Jitsu program
Get Started Today - 30 Day FREE Trial
Sooner or later you just have to try John's Gym Mixed Martial Arts and Fitness training for yourself. To make it easy, we're the ONLY training center in Central Texas that offers a 30 Day Free Trial membership. That’s some of the very best martial arts training available anywhere. To get started, click the link below.