Welcome to the #1 Rated Kids Martial Arts Program for Self Defense in NW Austin / Cedar Park. We empower your child with confidence, discipline, and practical self defense. Our instructors are Certified Professionals with a combined 15yrs of teaching experience ensuring your child receives top notch instruction while having fun and learning to defend themselves. We have a great group of quality kids in both our Kids Boxing and Kids Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and look forward to welcoming your child, too.
Claim My FREE Kids Jiu Jitsu Class Now
SPECIAL: New Members Receive a FREE Premium Jiu Jitsu Gi + White Belt + Team Patch when you join! - Limited Supply
What Positive Impact Can I Expect For My Child?
- Paying Attention - Kids who have a hard time paying attention and focusing on tasks see a big improvement from our martial arts program. Primarily because of the physical aspect of it, but also from the loving attention and discipline our coaches give. We have many kids who have been diagnosed ADD or ADHD that are finally able to put their talents to work in a fun and engaging environment where they want to focus.
- Calming Confidence - It's a common misconception that learning self defense and martial arts will make your child want to fight more; however, what happens over time is they grow a quiet confidence where they don't want to start an altercation, but would rather subdue the situation through talking first. Our instructors make it clear that the techniques we teach them are for self defense not for starting fights.
- Self-Respect: Think about it? If you're a child with no knowledge of how to defend yourself, are you going to stand up to the bully? Probably not. Having self-respect comes from confidence and that kind of confidence comes from coming to martial arts class and learning how to defend themselves. Then, if being teased or confronted with a bully, your child can more confidently use their words to diffuse a situation without fear because they know how to defend themselves.
- Weight Lose: Our Martial Arts are active and lots of fun. Whether they are training with a partner or doing solo drills, they'll be leaving each class with a sweat. The parents love seeing their kids in a positive atmosphere sweating alittle bit rather than seeing them plopped on the couch staring at their phones or tv.
- Coordination: We do many drills and techniques that require them to develop and increase their whole body coordination so that they feel stronger and more aware of their body.
- and Many More...
We have been coming for 6 months now, feeling comfortable everyday. Our kiddo has learned this amazing art to a level we did not expect, in a short period of time. Our instructors have treated us like family. A family oriented and welcoming environment. Very happy to be a part of this gym!! Great place!!
The major differences between John's Gym Kids Martial Arts Program and other Kids Martial Arts in Austin and Cedar Park area
- Kids Martial Arts classes that only teach forms (katas) with no practical application
- Breaking board style "gimmicks" that have no actual self defense value
- No Curriculum for advancement, more of a free-for-all atmosphere where instructors teach what they feel like
- No Contact yet claim to teach Self Defense
- No room for advancement into competition
- Not a certified program
- Money Pit of Belt testing fees that come too often
- Part time instructors with no real world or competitive experience doing what they teach
- Try and lock you into long term contracts from the 1st day
- Cult like atmosphere that focuses more on the instructor rather than your child's development
- False sense of security learning ancient martial arts that haven't been updated to our modern time
- Belt Grading based on attendance rather than actual ability to defend themselves.
- We teach practical self defense, no theories or forms.
- Our Kids Martial Arts Program has a curriculum and levels of advancement so that they stay safe and aren't put into situations that their level may not be ready for yet.
- Our Kids BJJ class offers sparring to give your child a safe and fun real world experience.
- We have a very active competition team that regularly travels to compete in Martial Arts tournaments
- We are an International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu certified training facility.
- Full time instructors and assistants that love teaching kids and are here to help in your child's advancement through our boxing levels. Our instructors have participated in boxing matches and Jiu Jitsu matches and so they are speaking from real world experience, not theory.
- It's all about the kids. Our trainers have a combined 15+ yrs of experience teaching and helping kids of all levels
- Beginner friendly gym that offers a systematized curriculum to keep your child safe an efficiently teach them how to defend themselves from day 1.
- Belt Grading system dependent on how well your child grasps the techniques rather than simply based on attendance.
- Positive cheerful atmosphere where the instructors are relatable to the kids.
Awesome Moment Between a Mom and Her Boy in a Jiu Jitsu Match!
Here's What We Offer for Kids Martial Arts at John's Gym
Kids Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Ages 5+
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or BJJ, is known as Arte Suave or The Gentle Art because is uses leverage and technique, rather than strength to subdue your opponent. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu utilizes a Jiu Jitsu Gi / Kimono. Most fights are taken to the ground, and that’s where BJJ takes over. In Brazilian Jiu Jitsu there is no punching or kicking, opponents are subdued by joint locks and chokes. The goal of each rolling session is not to hurt your opponent, but to get him to the point where he must tap out. We teach our students to tap early and often (it's basically like saying, "uncle"). BJJ is a safe and fun way for your child to learn how to defend himself without having to throw punches or kicks.
We Have A Great Group of Quality Kids That Train Martial Arts at John's Gym...but don't take our word for it, here's what the parents are saying
My 8yr old daughter and 5yr old son LOVE this gym. From the AMAZING coaches to the staff. They learn discipline, gain confidence, and best of all are tired from a great workout.
I love this place! Top notch instructors, fun, challenging classes, and a friendly atmosphere!
We have been going to John's Gym since he opened up! I'm so happy with everyone there! My boys go daily and I feel very confident that they are in a safe place. My boys who are ages 14, 13, 11, and 8 take almost every class that is offered. All the instructors are great with me and my family and I can see their passion to teach others! They take the time to make sure you are doing everything properly. ... I couldn't have signed us up at a better place. It is a fun and energetic place and the workouts are great and well worth your time! I totally recommend John's Gym if you are looking for a great place to work out and have fun while doing it!
Frequently Asked Questions: Don't see your question answered? Simply click the blue Contact Button or call/TXT 512-436-0675, and we'll promptly reply.
Do you have classes for beginners?
Yes we do. Our Jiu Jitsu program is divided into Level 1 for Kids and Level 2 for Kids.
Will my child get hurt?
Although we can't guarantee that there won't be some bumps and bruises along the way rest assured that we have adequate staff at each class to ensure proper safety. Having said that, these are active martial arts, and with any sport/active martial art there are chances for your child to get some bumps and bruises. However, if you let us do what we do best, your child will come out the other side stronger and more determined than ever.
Will my child learn how to defend themselve?
Yes, absolutely. We focus on practical self defense martial arts. Rest assured your child won't be learning "theory" or "forms". There is no board breaking here, our kids are well prepared to handle any situation that arises and the parents feel safer and more secure knowing that their child has some tools to be able to defend themselves realistically.
Can my try a class first to see if they like it?
Yes. You can try a class for free by calling/TXTing us at 512-436-0675. If you like the class and want to learn more about our programs and pricing we can talk afterwards, too.
Will people try and hurt my child?
We have a safe environment for all levels and ages, that's why we split our groups up by levels so you can feel safe that you're training with people that are at their level who are looking for a safe, fun, and beginner friendly training environment, too. We have a strict "no-bully" policy here.
Do the kids spar/roll during class?
Although no mandatory, all of our kids are encouraged to spar/roll with their teammates so they can get a practical realistic feel for the techniques they have been learning. We want them to apply what they learn in a safe environment with supervision so they can feel safer once they leave our doors.
What ages do you start kids Martial Arts?
Kids Jiu Jitsu Ages 5+
When can my child start class?
Right now, our classes are on a rolling curriculmn and so they can jump in at anytime and not feel like they've missed anything. Simply click the blue Contact button or call/TXT 512-436-0675 and contact us about enrolling your child
Get Started Today - 30 Day FREE Trial
Sooner or later you just have to try John's Gym Mixed Martial Arts and Fitness training for yourself. To make it easy, we're the ONLY training center in Central Texas that offers a 30 Day Free Trial membership. That’s some of the very best martial arts training available anywhere. To get started, click the link below.